Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Top 16 - Men

I'm a day late and a dollar short here so I have to hurry. The usually witty comments might be at a minimum today. Ha, that was pretty funny though.

Luke Menard - Oh, my. Wham? He's not even in costume. How about a Member's Only jacket or tight-rolled jeans? What about the signature dance move that George Michael did in this video? This performance was TOTALLY phoned in. He either didn't commit to it, or he just doesn't have the gusto to push those notes out just a little bit more. I thought it was lackluster and boring and just a little bit awkward. I'm not sure his "good looks" are going to be enough to keep him here another week.

David Archuleta - David's going 2nd this week? Hmmm, I always thought they put whoever they wanted to go home in the #2 spot. But, DANG. He starts strong. I have chills. I never particularly liked this song...he's making me love it. I love love love what he does with his melodies!!! This guy is a smart singer. Now, there are times when he bobbles out of tune just a little, but not as bad as everyone else. I love the way he starts and then gets up from the piano. I love his tone. This guy is brilliant. He sells it. And he's socially conscious. Last week was Imagine and this week is Another Day in Paradise. How can he lose? He'd have to pull a Milli-Vanilli and admit he's lip-synching.

Danny Noriega - I have a love/dislike relationship with little Danny. I love Tainted Love. I love his singing (usually) but can't stand his prissy little attitude. Or, do I???? He's addicting, in a scary sort of way. If he had been on pitch, this would've been a kick-butt performance. He had some good MOMENTS, but the song as a whole was just out of pocket. It was fun, though, and I think 12 yr old girls everywhere were probably voting for him like crazy last night.

David Hernandez - His most embarassing moment? A booger? Yeah, right. Try getting yourself outed nationwide for being a gay male stripper. And darn it - he's SUCH a good singer. I think he's better than little David Archuleta at times. Ooo, Celine. This should be good, because he has the chops. Why do all of the contestants sound out of breath? This was NOT a good song choice. I was wrong. He usually is SPOT ON with his pitch, but he was all over the place. I love watching the judges are skirting around the whole stripping issue. Ha, is he flirting with Randy?

David Cook - Technical difficulties... we will get back to David.

Michael Johns - Oh, yes! Breakfast Club! This guy is so adorable. I have to agree with an acquaintance - you listen to the beginning and the end but sort of just tune out in the middle because it's nothing spectacular. Just more of the same... which is not BAD. Anyway, I just love him. Mediocre or not.

Back to David Cook - Hello? Seriously? HE is doing Lionel Richie? I would never have guessed that... but I LOVE IT!!!!! Up until this performance, I was not to impressed with Mr. Cook. He has won me over - for the time being. That was an awesome arrangement. He has definitely secured himself a place in the top 12.

Jason Castro - ooh, he's singing "Hallelujah" And I like it! I think this performance is magical. I had NO hopes of Jason doing well... but I think he did. I was scared of him singing without his guitar. It was sweet and it captured me. Yes, he cracked a little bit, but it was charming, I thought. I liked it so much I ran it back and watched it again. I hope he doesn't get sent home. (Paula is sounding crazier than ever tonight. Scary.)

Chikezie - He sounds like Luther Vandross. He sang this in his first audition and it made me take notice. I don't think he did quite as well tonight as he did the first time. It wasn't as much of a slam dunk as I was expecting. Yes, Paula is crazy. Coo-coo.

Honestly if I had to pick 2 people to go home, it would probably be Luke and Chickezie.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Great comments, Beth! David Cook is still one my very favs. I liked Danny this week - I don't hear the pitch problems that music people hear. :-p

I definitely thought Paula was high or something last night.`