Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Top 12 - Performance night

We’re still in St. Simons Island (or Sea Island), GA. But, Aaron is snoring after a long day of golfing so I thought I would watch American Idol. How, you may ask? Because our room has stinkin’ TiVo!!!! Can you believe that??? And of course I thought ahead enough to record it.

Ryan introduces the judges and asks them what they think about it being Lennon-McCartney night. Randy reiterates word-for word what the guy from Billboard just said on the video. Way to be redundant, Randy.

Big set – nice

Syesha goes first - “Got to Get You Into My Life” I honestly didn’t know this was a Lennon-McCartney song. Who performed this song? I don’t like it. She’s not in the pocket. She seems like she’s being eaten up by that big stage. But, she ends very strong. Lucky for her. Ok, Earth, Wind and Fire! Of course! That’s where I heard it. This performance reminds me of the first season when it was bare-bones and had the ghetto setup.

Does it seem like the audience is smaller this year? I don’t like it. I don’t like the feel at all. I miss last year’s stage and setup. I like the bigger, more energetic audience.

Chikezie – I like ole Chikezie. Do I think he has longevity? No. Sorry. Oh, my Ryan. What are you doing? Ooo, I LOVE the way he started this song. Although I have to admit that I thought he might’ve been a little bit off-beat. But I guess he wasn’t. Say what you want – Chikezie entertained tonight and no one will forget his performance tonight. His mom cracks me up. Her Holy Ghost experience is directly tied to how well Chikezie does. Oh no! What is wrong with Ryan tonight? Is he just trying to kill time? He’s making an ass of himself.

Ramiele Malubay – Who knew Ramiele was so dull? Her backstory is boring me to tears. “In My Life” is a great song, but it may be her undoing. Ooo, she botched the first 2 or 3 notes. Ew, this is just not good. I like the tone of her voice so much, but she is just not singing this well. Bad move starting on the steps, too. She looked very awkward trying to walk across the stage. Now we know why she stayed put in previous performances.

Jason Castro – my personal favorite. What’s up with the flowers in his hair? Aw, he’s so cute. I love him. This is a hard song to sing with all the jazz chords! Man, if he just had a few voice lessons, he would kill it. He is so endearing, even if he does have some strange facial expressions. The song was not boring, Simon. Oh, gee. The Kardashian family is there. Wonder who Kim is scamming on.

Ooo, Simon just threatened Ryan Seacrest. Was he hinting that he would fire him? Interesting.

Carly Smithson – “Come Together” Cool. Ok, she’s having fun with it tonight. She is definitely in her element tonight. But can I just say one thing? I HATE the lyrics of this song! Toe-jam football? Gag.

David Cook – I don’t want to be mean but he just strikes me as a sweaty person. Ew, with painted fingernails. “Eleanor Rigby” I had decided long ago that I didn’t like this guy, so WHY is he winning me over lately??? I loved his “Hello” version last week. Now, I’m totally digging this tonight. Loved the arrangement. Stellar. Dang it. Why can’t he suck? Who in the world does he remind me of???

Brooke White – possibly the nicest girl in the world. “Let it Be” She sounds like Old Country to me tonight. I liked last week better. She should’ve stepped away from the piano. Ugh, she’s not only boring me to tears but she is so out of tune when she tries to jam it up. I don’t think she’ll go home but it was not her best performance. I can’t believe Simon said it was. He must really like blondes.

David Hernandez – it’s so weird how he keeps skirting around the whole gay stripper thing. Pizza Bistro? Nice try. I think he’s one of the best singers in the competition. He just has such a great voice. One of his runs on this song went a lot sour, though. He is commanding the stage. I guess he feels right at home on stage. With or without clothes, ha ha. I can’t resist. It’s too easy! Interesting – the judges are slamming him. Have they caught too much flack from keeping him in the competition? He took the criticism well. Aw, what a good attitude for a stripper.

Amanda Overmyer – I just have to admit that I don’t like her voice. I agree that she can perform. I just don’t like HEARING her. This is the prettiest she has looked in the entire competition. Hang on a second... She didn’t change the lyrics in this song. She said “Don’t be talking to him” Strange.

As the show has gone on, I have completely forgotten about Syesha’s performance. It seemed so amateur. And it just seems like the rockers are ruling this year.

Michael Johns – such a cutie. Tennis coaching. Ha! Love the shirt with the Vegemite on it. I tried that for the first time at Christmas, thanks to my neighbors, the Scholls. “Across the Universe” Great song. Wow, this is the best I’ve heard his voice. Great pitch. I wish he would control that vibrato a little bit. I liked it.

Kristy Lee Cook – her days are numbered if there is any justice in the world. Alaina should’ve been in the top 12 instead of her. Kristy, have you heard of a little production called “Nashville Star”? Poor little girl – it wasn’t even great singing. She botched every single run. She just has this “I’m scared to death” look on her face. It’s boring. Redundant. Gah, they need to vote her outta there. Simon’s hair looks horrendous this year. A huge fan base? Really? I hadn’t heard.

David Archuleta – Gosh, he looks so TINY! NO WAY! He just flubbed the lyrics! Good for him for pushing through. He looks SCARED to death. Aw, I just want to hug him. Oh, he is botching this whole song. It’s very Show Choir. The song is bigger than he is. I was NOT expecting this at all. Man. Too bad he didn't save "Imagine" for this week. Bummer.

If I have to pick someone to go home, it’s going to be either 1) Kristy Lee Cook, 2) Ramiele or 3) Syesha I think the guys are safe this week.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Chikezie - I was sooo surprised and delighted by his performance. Unfortunately, I had picked him to go this week. Who knew he was going to step up like that! I'm happy for him.

I agree and Ryan and Simon were way weird tonight. It was like they were referring to all of these inside jokes, and I had no idea what they were talking about.

Ramiele - she needs to step it up. I had her going far. I hope she squeaks by this week.

David C - He's still one of my favs. His performance was really good, but he reminds me a lot of Chris Daughtry - but without as strong of vocals or the stage presence.

Amanda - I don't like her voice either. I thought the don't be talking to him thing was strange too.

David H - Charlie and I agreed that the judges were totally trying to throw him under the bus.

David A - I wanted to cry for him. He looked so scared. I hope he can get his confidence back for next week.

Thanks again for the comments, Beth. I love reading them!