Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Top 11 - Performance Night, Part 1

I'm sitting here with Shelby, watching a day late.

Randy is yawning...Paula is sparkly...and Simon just winked.

Ew, Simon just winked again. What is up with that?

Amanda Overmyer is first - she is the Gretchen Wilson of American Idol this year. She likes the stage better than singing on a flatbed truck. Yeeeeeehaw! Back in the USSR. The backups are SO loud. It's the best I've seen her look - and she definitely looks right at home on stage. She is having a blast... and I'm JUST ABOUT to be won over by this chick! What is going on here?!?!?! Um, hello judges. She IS what she is. I knew she wasn't going to change when I heard her in Hollywood. Why are you surprised?

Kristy Lee Cook - Is it bad to dread hearing a contestant? She has a sparkly top, too. Did she and Paula shop together? You've God to Hide Your Love Away. Poor girl thinks it's a new song. Maybe she just meant new to her. She started out so strong on the verses. It was probably the best I've heard her. But then she hit the chorus and all heck broke loose. Will her cowboy boots be enough to keep her another week? I think she was singing the chorus wrong. I'll have to ask my aunt Mary. Ha! Randy just said EXACTLY what I just said to Shelby about the melody being wrong. Shelby just mentioned that when Paula tells you that you look nice, it's the kiss of death. Simon: "Musical Wallpaper - you notice it but you don't remember it" Classic. Uh oh - I can't even repeat what Kristy Lee just said to Simon. I strive to keep this blog rated PG!!!

David Archuleta - Let's see if the little cutie can remember his words and hold it together tonight. Ahhhhh, the beginning is MAGICAL. When this little guy is on his game, he is ON IT. Lovely. He's kicking butt and taking a bunch of names. His voice is just so pleasant. He has just the right mix of hitting the right notes and adding in the runs and colors. He did what he did best.

I wish Paula would get her bangs out of her eyes. PLEASE!!!!

Michael Johns - A Day in the Life. Wow, that's a tall order to condense this song to a minute and a half. In many ways, I think this is the best he has sounded. He is putting a lot of emotion into it. He had one little flub with the chorus. He was actually singing instead of grunting and growling through it. Just MHO. I like it. Shelby didn't care for it and neither did Randy. Let's see what Paula and Simon have to say... I don't agree with Simon that it was a mess. Aw, he is such a cutie - don't be so mean to him!

Brooke White as the driven snow. That's a very interesting dress. Oh, Here Comes the Sun. Ok, the dress makes sense. Hmm, that little twirl was very awkward. Oh, my. this whole song is very awkward. Very. Awkward. Almost show choir-ish. Uhhh, are Randy and I on the same wave-length? He says the same thing I say, right after. Is Simon going to say she acted like a drunk cousin at the wedding reception?

David Cook - he's doing the Whitesnake version of Daytripper. Hmmm. Ok, I really like it so far. He is confident. He really uses that sideways lip snarl a lot. It wasn't as good as the past 2 weeks but it was better than most. Simon says he looked smug throughout. What's new about that?

I can't blog about the rest... I gotta get ready for church. More later

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Amanda - that is too funny that she is winning you over - because i said the same thing to Charlie when we were watching it. He said he is most definitely not getting won over.

You look beautiful tonight = the kiss of death -- I couldn't agree more.

Michael - I thought he did a good job too. you could actually hear his voice. it was kind of dis-jointed but it was okay.

Brooke - she just had no idea what the song was about. i don't think of it as a little ditty ... ya know. several times last night the judges said the singers weren't connecting with the songs. Well, maybe because they never get to sing something from their own era. Beattles (technically) two weeks in a row. Come on.

Syesha - still didn't like her performance - even though the judges did. I don't like that breathy whisper thing she does.

Chikezie - I like him. He can sing. :-)

Ramiele - better, but she's just out of her element or something. she'd better get on track.

i hope one of the girls goes this week.

Kim said...

Beth, have you found out who went home yet? I was so bummed!

Tracy said...

Beth ... where are you ... I need your comments. :-)

Bessie Moo said...

Oh, wow! Somehow I had no idea that you girls had commented on my blog! How did I miss that? I thought I would get an email... ??? Sorry!!!!!