Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Season 8 - Top 9

Seriously, it's 12:33am as I'm beginning this tonight... I can't be held responsible for what comes out of my mouth.

Simon always looks so awkward when he walks out to the front of the stage.

Oh, my. They coiffed Scott's hair.

"They still have Adam Sandler on there???" - Abbey Ha! She's so funny! (For the record, she is not up at 12:33am. We turned it on briefly at 7pm before some guests came over and she saw the top 9.)

Ooo, I see Mandisa! She looks so beautiful! I love you, Mandisa.

Kara has to define "artistry" for us? Seriously?

Right off the bat, I'm noticing Allison's ridiculous outfit. I like the hair color better - but her outfits are horrible!

What is up with Anoop's funky jackets? And the snarls? "Caught up" by Usher. Despite the snarls and stuff, I didn't mind it. I mean, it wasn't horrible. But it wasn't a winner. I think Anoop will get some kind of recording deal when all of this is over. NOW, he is a little (maybe even a lot) out of tune at the beginning of the song. I think he could be in danger of being in the bottom 3. I'm bored. He's boring me.

"I kinda felt like a bunch of frat guys dared you to get up and sing Usher" - Kara
The camera cuts to frat guys in audience... all friends of Anoop.

"It was a complete and utter mess" - Simon
Cut to Frat boys boo'ing Simon.

The pretty girl is next. No, I'm not talking about Adam. It's Megan Joy! I seriousy can't believe she is still in this competition. I'm not saying she doesn't have a certain amount of talent... she is just floundering in the show. She is kinda just a laid-back jazz singer. OK, this song is boring the crap out of me. Suddenly, I'm missing her quirky little dance moves. She's so pretty, though.

Megan fights with the judges... blah blah blah...

Next!

When's Matt coming on?

Ok, I'll settle for Danny. Ooooo, awesome - Rascal Flatts, What Hurts the Most. One of my favorite songs. And Danny has a way of making songs his own when he wants to. I hope he does, because he had a rough go of it last week. I love the intro with the violin. Lovely. Hmmm, ok. I'm learning something about Danny right now. When he's not blasting the roof off of the place, he gets out of tune. And now, he's blasting the roof off of the place and STILL is out of tune. Let me run it back and listen again without typing... ok, yeah, a little out of tune... BUT, all I could really think of was his wife dying while I was listening. Man, I just want to go cry now!!!

[one last note on Danny - I wish so badly he had taken the mic OFF of the stand - not move around, but just hold the mic for more emotion]

1:02am now... and Allison is next. Ugh, I hate Don't Speak. It's my LEAST favorite No Doubt song. Did anyone else notice when she was playing the guitar in practice that he finger looked infected. Eeek. Ok, she starts off AMAZING. I love the beginning. She completely rocked out this song. Very good. Very very good. Who cares what she's wearing? I mean, it's hideous, but when she sings I forget that her look is all wrong. The girl can blow. And that's a compliment.

Geez - they keep panning from her feet up and showing her outfit. Stop already!!! She's 16 and having her awkward stage on national television. Have some mercy!

Wow, I'm not sure I can handle Scott at this hour. Could he possibly NOT suck this week? I love his personality... and yeah, it stinks that he's blind... but I just can't stand his singing style. Please! Put me out of my misery and stop voting for him! Sorry. I had a moment. Ok, "Just the Way Your Are". Alright. Ha! I love the little look and a smile he gives the audience when they cheer for him as he begins. You know, I'm not hating it this week. Darn it. His arrangement is edgier than I would've expected. Good job, Scotty. If you get more votes than Matty, I may have to dislike you again, though.

Paula is going a little crazy with her feedback right now. Say what? Uhhhhh-kay.

Yay - my man Matty is up next. And he's singing The Fray!!!!!!!! Could I be so lucky??? Oh, please, let him do well with it. Ooh, he has a different hair-do this week. Me likey. Aw, Matt, you're so darn cute. Ok, so even though I love this guy, I can be honest and say that when he gets nervous, his vibrato goes NUTS. Breathe through those long notes, Matty! relax. Ok, beyond that, though - I LOVED IT!!!!! I loved that he did something different with the song. It was powerful and moved me.

NOT A GOOD COMMERCIAL SONG????? It's a MAJOR HIT that has crossed over several genres right now, SIMON!!!! IDIOT!!!!!

He doesn't know who he is??? CRAZY!!!! He doesn't have to do R&B!

SIMON, you crazy man. He's not frowning at you, Simon. He's just sad!!!!!

I'm sad, too. I thought it was good. In fact, I'm going to rewind it and listen again. I mean, I can see where they might RATHER he sing an R&B tune... but HELLO! the R&B tune last week got him in the bottom 3! Nope, I just ran it back and I stand by my assessment. I like it. I love when he flipped up into his falsetto. He added depth to it... it was FINE. And at least it wasn't BORING. Ugh. I'm pissed. I usually agree with Simon, but good gracious he was off his rocker this time. Not a good commercial song??? Just can't get over that one...

Lil is up next and I couldn't care less. She sounds horrible and I don't even recognize this song. I like her hair a lot better when she's recording the little video segment at the beginning. Seriously, this song was awful. "For me for you" says Randy. Huh? I didn't like it. Blah. Bad song.

Effortless???? No way. It was painful. She didn't sing well. At all. What were they hearing? Not the same thing I was. She was off.

Next!

Are you kidding me? Pimping out her kids to get people to vite for her? Man, that kid sure is cute, though. And just great. Lil is crying. As bad as she stunk, no ones going to vote her out now. Thanks a LOT Ryan...

Awesome! A Prince commercial!

So sick of these judges right now.

Adam is next. Whoop di do. I hate the way he sticks his tongue out when he goes for the high notes. What is UP with his hair? I like his emo hair better. I seriously have sit here through his entire song, clenching my butt cheeks in something close to horror. I feel like he went over to the Taylor Hicks side tonight. I'm cranky and that performance did not help. What it DID was get me out of the stupor I fell into when Lil sang. So, thanks Adam.

Next!

Kris. How can you not like Kris? Even with Bells Palsy on his belty notes, the boy is a cutie. And he has some musicality. Ooo, Bill Withers - Aint no Sunshine. I like it a lot. WOW. Besides the ending note, that could be my favorite Idol performance EVER. No, I'm not kidding. AMAZING. He's very smart. And likable.

Kara likes to count her words.

Who is the old lady sitting behind Kara and Randy, bedside Mandisa? She hasn't moved a muscle all night. No games!

Ugh... let's see. Kris had the best performance of the night. Hands down. I also liked Allison's.

Megan Joy and Lil were the worst of the night, in my very humble opinion.

The rest fell somewhere in the middle... with Anoop being nearer the bottom of the middle and Danny, Matt and Adam being closer to the top of the middle.

I hope Megan goes home. At this point, I like Scott more than I like her. At least he was a bit more interesting tonight. :-)

Still pissed about their assessment of Matt. Still in awe of what Kris did. I can see a finale with Kris and Adam duking it out.

Good night!!!!! Or morning, as it were.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

One of your entertaining posts - the early morning hours suit you. :-p

Mark Lunsford said...

I agree. You should always write after midnight. Then we know what you REALLY think. :) I'm sticking with my original picks. I think Danny will be a great artist when he's done singing cover tunes. I'm also glad you're coming over to my side regarding Adam. By the way, I think it's funny that you got the link wrong twice on Twitter. I actually had to go to the computer to read your post. But, that's just how important you are! :)

Anonymous said...

You're right about Kara loving to count words, but she also said last night that someone's performance ( Adam's, I believe) felt like "Studio 57"......Huh? I think you mean Studio 54, Kara......Sheesh.....Drugs kill, people!