Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Season 8, Top 13, Performance Night

A night late and $6 short... because, dear SIL#2, I have discovered something very disturbing about myself. I'm more addicted to saying "G*h" than I previously cared to admit!!!! So, I will still try to refrain from using it here in this blog... but can't make any promises in person.

Ok, I have another confession. It's very late on Wednesday night (nearly midnight) and I am feeling so disheveled and out-of-sorts. I have just been frazzled the past 2 days... have barely been at home at all... missed making my Fantasy American Idol picks on time (something I've never done in all 3 years of playing!!!)... and am just now getting around to watching. I have no idea who got kicked off tonight. So I'm really feeling disconnected.

Now, on to the show!!!!!!

The judges appear from behind a big screen with what sounds like a WWF announcer... and excuse me, but was Paula getting a wedgie out???? Let me rewind it. I can't be sure, but it sure looked like it! And what is going on between Simon and Ryan? They always have this little private joke going on.

Wow, nice stage! I must say I'm sooooooooo glad to have the REAL band back. Holy cow! That band they've had the recent weeks really sucked. SIL#2, can I say sucked? What about crap? LOL!

Let's get to sangin'! (That a sassy way of saying "singing") Lock up your children, it's Michael Jackson week. This should be interesting! Will Adam Lambert sing Thriller?

First up is Lil Rounds. She's good, no doubt. Cute little kids! Aw, she's a sweet girl. "The Way You Make Me Feel" Cool - one of my favorite MJ songs. I'm not loving her version. She a little out of pocket. NOW, I realize it's her first time on that big ole honking stage, so in light of that, she's actually doing great. She is quite the performer. I'd like to go on the record and say I abhor her outfit. Bottom line - she performed the heck out of it, but I did not care of her singing. The judges are deaf tonight. She did not sing well. Thank God for Simon for telling it straight.

Kara is getting on my nerves. Already.

"Give me 5 minutes with Lil and I straighten her out" - Simon
"You know what? That's all it would take." - Paula
Ha!

Next up is Scott MacIntyre. Oh, boy. I hate to say that his vision impairment has gotten him this far... but I really think his vision impairment has gotten him this far. Sorry! OK, WOW. That was more than just a little creepy when they played the clip of he and his siblings singing that weird little song. Yikes. OK, the song starts off nice. Love the piano playing. Not sure I am familiar with this song. His singing goes downhill fast. This song is so weird. I will say that Scott is a fabulous pianist. But come on, people. A standing ovation? It's a SINGING competition. He doesn't sing all that well, people! Sheesh.

Shut up, Kara.

"It's magical seeing your instrument at your fingertips." - Paula
I'm gonna leave that one alone...

Danny Gokey is next and I just love him. PYT, awesome! Ok, the show has started now as far as I'm concerned. Wow, he rocked out that intro. Loved it. What in the world is up with his dancing?? It's like he's trying to ride a Shetland pony. But I do love his soul! I loved hearing his family back-story, how they sing everything. We do that in our family. :-) Aw, Paula is all emotional. I'm gonna have to rewind his performance and watch it again. Love his voice! Yes, it is very Michael McDonald-ish. Mmmm mmmm mmm. Good stuff.

I love this guy - Michael Sarver. What a sweet, precious guy. I think Michael has a great voice, but I don't think his voice is "pop" enough to win. It's very Christian Adult Contemporary, which is not a bad thing... it just is what it is. His voice is very inspirational. Does that make sense? Kara... ugh. And Paula's eye makeup. Gee! Instinctually, Paula? Is that a word? (Not according to my spell-check)

Jasmine is next. Snore. She's cute and all but I just am not into it. Jasmine's family is very attractive. I'll Be There? Hmmm, don't know if I would've picked such an old-school song choice if I was one of the youngest ones. She starts out singing it very well.. and then quickly falls off the cliff. Her licks are very Mariah-esque. And she botched them towards the end. She can sing, she just needs one more year to grow. She is very composed on stage.

Whoo, I'm getting sleepy...

Kris is next. Can he keep me awake? Aw, he's a newlywed. So sweet. Remember the Time. Oh, I'm so glad he has his guitar. He's so much better when he has his guitar. Ok, let's stop. From a completely TECHNICAL standpoint here... WHY does he jut his lower jaw out to the right side of his face when he sings big notes? That drives me crazy! Someone somewhere should work with him on that. Horrible habit. Ouch - he completely dorked-out on the bridge and ending. Throwing his arms around erratically... weird. He botched the big notes, but I forgive him. I liked it.

TOTALLY weird moment when Paula tries to explain why Kris helps others and Simon starts pulling on her dress. Did anyone else catch what happened next? Ryan goes over and tries to stop Simon and kinda gives him a little pat on the face. It was very demeaning, if you ask me. I'm surprised Simon didn't whack him. Uncomfortable.

Allison Iraheta is next and she can sing... but she's a little weird. Given to me? I don't know this song. Of all the popular songs from MJ, why are they choosing all of these obscure songs? Allison seems like she's channeling Amanda Overmeyer or something. Her vocals are spot-on... but the song is very 80's rock ballad. I love me some 80's... but this brings back the bad memories of the 80's for some reason. Love her voice. Hate the song choice.

Anoop is next and he looks very handsome tonight. They've done something a little different with his hair. Beat it! Oh, wow. Aaaaaaaand he's dancing. He comes out strong with his vocals! He sounds really really good at first. I can honestly say that I LOVE what he has done with the vocals on this song. I am very pleasantly surprised!!! Loved it. Completely.

Paula hated it??? Simon hated it??? Whaa? They're completely throwing him under the bus! Kara says he didn't do any riffs... yes he did! I love what he did with the song. Were we hearing the same song? I mean, it wasn't earth-shattering or anything, but it certainly wasn't bad!

Jorge is next. Hmmm, never have been a fan, but he seems like a sweet guy. Just a bit boring. I thought Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me was a little safe. But what do I know? Never Can Say Goodbye? Wow - he sounds great. I mean, his vocals are pretty good on this song. His pitch is great. Especially on the higher notes, which can be hard for men to stay on pitch up in that register. He had a few bobbles, but overall I thought it was good. Do the judges need a snack? They are getting cranky.

Whew, I have a headache now.

Megan Joy is back. Can't wait to see her dance moves. Not. Her brother, who looks a little like a pot-head, is in the audience. She is so beautiful! Look at those pictures from when she was younger. So cute! I think she's gonna be a star of some sort... just not sure it will be in singing. Aw, she misses her little boy. Rockin' Robin. Hmmm, really? She has such an interesting voice. I really actually like it. It's so different and interesting. I already said that. Oh, wait! Caw caw?????? WHAT?

Adam is next. Please, oh please, let him be singing Thriller. It would be so appropriate. Oh. Black & White. Like his skin vs. his fingernails? He starts out strong with the first part of the verse. He is certainly comfortable on stage. Oh, my - he really hit some raunchy notes on this one!!!! Can't anyone hear that? It kills me when they cut to Paula trying to come out of her coma to dance. Paula can barely speak - she is out of breath with emotion. She's all kinds of crazy tonight! I like about half of what he does and the other half just turns me off. Paula is nuts.

"I hope Michael Jackson is watching this tonight." - kara
"I love him!" - Adam, mouthing the words.
You're too old for him. - Me

My boy, Matt Giraud is next. He let me down greatly during the top 36... but now he gets his piano back and I'm believing for him to kick it up a notch!!! Don't let me down, Matt! Oh! Human Nature is one of my favorite MJ songs. Oh, sing it Matt! He seems to be singing more in his key tonight. WOW. Nice. He has some pitchy places... but.. Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay for having his piano back! He took some risks and it paid off. I don't mind telling you that performance was dead sexy, too. Moving on!

Ok, who's next? Alexis Grace! I really liked her when she sang Aretha the first week. Oh, my! Dirty Diana? Love that song! Alexis looks like a star already. The song is a bit fast. But, WOW. listen to the judges fighting over who goes first. I liked it. Why didn't they make her # 13 in the phone number? Why 36? That might mess up her chances if people don't get her # right when calling to vote. I think the judges are hard on her. She sang the heck out of that song and performed great.

I predict Jorge and Michael Sarver will go home. But, I wish it was Scott MacIntyre. I just don't think he's a strong singer.

Peace out!!! And no, I STILL don't know who was voted off. Not sure if I have the stamina to stay up and watch it...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, well, first of all, since you have such a deep love of the non-word "Gah," then I'm not going to try to come between the two of you. It's funny though - in the decade plus that I've known you, only recently have I ever heard you say that. Is it like an old sweater that you wore every day but packed away and only recently rediscovered? (hee hee)

Sucked and crap are acceptable ... they are staples in my vocab (except when I'm around my mother). And they don't remind me of any bimbos.

You should watch Idol very late at night after a busy week every week. You were freakin' hilarious in this one! Loved, loved, loved it. Kept laughing and laughing.

But I gotta say ... we are NOT AT ALL on the same page. About singing? Perhaps. But fashion? No. See, I loved Lil's blouse. I haven't watched the show yet (you know, I'm not allowed until the weekend), but I saw a picture of her and thought "Oh, I would soooo wear that!" If only I knew where she found it .... oh, wait. Do they sell figures there, too? I'd be needing a new one of those to go with that blouse.

I'm so glad to hear you liked Anoop. I've heard such horrible things about his performance this week, and I love him. Of course, I love Scott McIntyre, too. But I'm not oblivious (yes, I first typed the word "blind" but then realized my faux pas) to the fact that he may not have the chops to stay around long-term. I know he won't win it (that's for Danny or Lil to do), but I enjoy him for some reason. But I loves me some A-Newt Dawg. If it ever comes down to the two of them, I gotta go wit my boy, A-Newt.

With love and sincere appreciation for your work here,

SIL #2

Bessie Moo said...

Awww, I'm sooooo glad you liked it! "Fanks!" as Lincoln would say!

I didn't mind Lil's TOP... it was the pants with the top with her figure. Didn't like it at all. It made her look too hippy. But, hey, she's beautiful and you're beautiful so what do I care?

I'm so glad you're willing to make room for a little Gah in your life. I feel like it's been a part of my vocabulary for many, many years... perhaps deep down I knew you wouldn't like it and avoided it around you but let it slip while blogging? I don't know! Ha!

Thank God the words crap and suckes are alright, though. Those get thrown around a lot. Especially in this show!

Speaking of Scott Mac. Did you catch the moment on Wednesday night's show when all of the contestants were seeing the mansion for the first time? They were showing their faces one by one with looks of awe... and then they panned to Scott. It was pitiful! I felt so bad for him!

But I'm telling you one thing - that boy can dance for a blind boy! I was WAY impressed with his ability to do the choreography! He was better than some of the guys that can see just fine. LOL!

Tracy said...

Thanks for the commentary, Beth! AI should totally dump Kara and Paula and hire you instead. :o)

Lil's outfit pained me. I agree; it was the pants. I thought the judges were a little hard on Jasmine, and I'm kind of disappointed she's already gone. But I'll get over it.

I loved the judges comparing Matt to JT. Charlie and I thought the same thing from the beginning.

The thing with Allison - love her voice - but the unnaturally red hair is throwing me off. I guess it goes with the rocker personna, but seeing pics of her younger with brown hair made me wish she still looked like that.

Love, love, love Danny!!!! I liked Alexis a lot. Megan totally drives me crazy.

Can't wait for next week. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, no! I haven't watched the show yet, so I haven't seen Lil's pants nor the mansion portion. That's just not right about Scott and the mansion! Surely, they had to know how that was going to come across.

I'm not sure why, but when you were talking about Scott and the choreography, I just started hearing "I Got The Music In Me" in my head. Maybe it's true ... maybe you either have it in you or you don't and no amount of watching someone else do it will help! Ha! Ha! Ha!

As for Lil's pants, I hear you. I know all too well the importance of picking an ensemble that works with your body shape. And a hippy girl has just GOT to be careful! Big butt girls can wear anything, but that doesn't mean they should!

SIL # 2

P.S. Beth, do you miss Shelby? I really miss that girl. We used to have so much fun when she would play with us on here. (heavy sigh) I hope she'll come back some day.