Thursday, February 21, 2008

Top 24 Ladies - Week 1

Ok, so the bad flu (as opposed to the good flu) has hit the female contestants... this should be interesting. I don't want to get out of bed when I have the flu - bad or otherwise - and I can't imagine having to get in front of the world and pretend as though I feel like singing for my life! In fact, I was sick last night when I got home from church and - GASP - didn't even watch the show but went straight to bed after watching the eclipse.

First up...

Kristy Lee Cook - Aw, she sold her prize horse to go to American Idol. Can you imagine how silly she would've felt if she hadn't made it this far? I hope she can buy that horse back. If this performance is any indication... the horse is glue. Her hair looks better curly. Ok, she must be one of the sick ones - she looks pekid. Wow, this is a watered-down version of this song. Very boring. It just keeps going and going and going. As the song ends, the poor thing just looks like she's going to pass out. She sings well, it was just THERE. But, gosh, if she's sick maybe she deserves a second chance. Dunno. Paula sounds high. One odd note: as Kristy was singing, it showed the boys' reaction and some of them were clapping along but David Cook was just staring a whole through her. Suppose he's from the lineage of Cooks that don't like her side of the Cooks??? Ha.

Joanne Borgella - Ok, is she sick, too? Gee. That was not good. I have not been a fan of her from the beginning. If I hear one more time that she is a plus-size model I'm gonna puke. I was just not impressed by her voice. But, she DOES look sick.

Alaina Whitaker - Yes, she does look like Carrie Underwood. Let's just see how she sounds, though! She is a cutie. Much better personality than Carrie, it seems. Nice control of the voice. It's hard to sing that low and keep it in control. WOW - this girl is good. I love her performance! Very nice voice. No, Randy, it was not rough at the beginning. Did Paula just say that Diana Ross's performance of this song was a very dreadful experience??? Oh, my. Brazen. I can't say enough good things about little Alaina, though.

Amanda Overmyer - This chick is only 23? She seems older. She comes out strong... if not a little scary. Now, SHE is legitimate. Robbie Carrico a rocker? Nah. Amanda Overmyer? Heck yeah. Do I prefer this sound? Nah. But someone does. She can perform. No doubt about that. I like it when she smiles! It's not as scary. If we don't vote for her, is she going to come and find us and beat us up?

Amy Davis - Very pretty girl - great bone structure. Can she sing? I remember her first audition and thought that they made a mistake by putting her through. Shaky voice, I thought. Seems I was right. So many things wrong with this performance!!!! 1) who did her hair and makeup? Wrong. 2) Who picked this song? Wrong. 3) Why is she singing like that? Wrong. The placement in her voice is all wrong. Too forced. Not good control. Off-pitch. I'm not trying to be mean. This is my knee-jerk reaction. Oh, my word. This is unbearable. I bet that girl from Nashville that got beat out by Joanne Borgella is fuming right now.

Brooke White - I don't know what to think about this girl - the rated R girl. I thought her first audition in hollywood was not that great, but they gave her a free ride to the end. She seems like a really nice girl. Ok, I'm just going to say right off the bat that it's a bad song choice. She sounds nervous. She looks AWESOME. But her voice sounds weak and shaky. Why does she keep grabbing her head? Paula still sounds high. It's like she forgets she's on the show and gets startled by her turn to talk.

Alexandrea Lushington - I feel like I don't know much about this girl. Thank you, Alexandrea! She got into it, looked her age, performed and did it well. At least at first. She kinda lost it when she went up high. At least she gave it some energy. I liked it. Paula=still high. Simon=high by contact? He was way off on this one.

Kady Malloy - Oh, this girl... I don't know. She seems like a bratty little girl who has never been told no in her life. Hmmm, maybe she can take over Britney Spears life since she has her voice so down-pat. Anyway, she starts off pretty strong if not a little odd. She has a grunt to her voice that she should reserve for special moments in the song. Ok, she really got off in the middle of the song and again towards the end... but all in all, I think she will and should go a little further in the competition.

Asai'h Epperson - Wow, I wasn't too sure about her before this performance. But, this girl rocked it out. Personality plus. It was very enjoyable. I don't think she'll win or anything... but it was really good.

Ramiele Malubay - This girl is so cute. She performs well. She either has experience or she has spent some quality time in her bedroom with the hairbrush in front of the mirror. It was off-pitch at times, but it didn't bother me too much. She has some really good moments. She will hang around for awhile.

Syesha - She is beautiful and has a lot going for her. She had some pitchy places (and does with every performance I've seen, no matter how overall great) but it was a high-energy, good performance. She will end up in the final 4 if she doesn't blow it.

Carly Smithson - I like this girl. I felt bad for what happened to her last season. I hate this song, though. And she has some immediate pitch problems, but pulled it out in the end. Man, does she remind anyone else of Steve Perry? Totally! Best vocal of the past 2 days? Mmm, I don't know. It was good, though. She kind of put me off with her "Sick is not an excuse" comment. It was a little catty.

Ok, those are my thoughts! Let's see what happens tonight!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Beth,
My husband said the exact same thing about Carly reminding him of Steve Perry ( the female version). That was so funny when I read that

Unknown said...

That Kady Malloy's attitude has got to go...I noticed it how she looked like a spoiled little brat after Simon was talking.

Tracy said...

The girls were very forgettable for me tonight - or maybe it was the fact that I didn't get much of a chance to sit and watch. Asia'h is my favorite right now. I thought Alexandrea and Syesha did great. The Carrie Underwood look-a-like has a very good voice. I don't understand what's so great about Carly. I just don't hear this amazing voice that others seem to hear...