Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Top 24 Guys - Week 1

Oooh, I am so excited!!!! I LOVE the top 24 - have I mentioned that already???

I should probably tell you that I am part of an illustrious Fantasy American Idol group. It's pretty elaborate. I only "know" one person in the group, but feel very at-home making my picks and giving my opinions when necessary.

But blogging is where it's at for me. I really like getting my thoughts out about other people's talent. I'm going to try and not be so mean this year, ha ha! Here we go!

Ahhh, they're playing my last-year favorite - Blake Lewis - as they recap the process leading up to this. Nice.

David Hernandez - I really liked this guy in Hollywood. I think he has a solid voice... but I'm not sure if he has what it takes to be a "star". He seems really nervous whenever he sings, even though his voice is really good. I love the color in his voice. Ooh, Midnight Hour. Good start! Wow, his voice is better than I remember. Little pitchy part, but not bad. If you close your eyes, you would think he's already a star. Ouch - really out of tune towards the end, but who cares? All in all, I like him! I do. I like him. If it wasn't midnight, I'd vote for him right now.

Chikezie - I like this guy, too... but THIS SONG? Is this what I have to look forward to if he makes it much further? Don't get me wrong - it's a great song. But the arrangement is HORRIBLE. It's hard to hold out all of those notes on pitch if you're a seasoned performer, let alone the first night of a big competition. Bad move, dawg. But his mama was the cutest thing in the world! How sweet! I was kinda pulling for him because he got cut last year... but he may have just blown it. Paula is trying to cover for him by playing him up. [Side note - what happened to Paula's cute hair she had going on throughout the auditions? Ugh.] Now, I've heard that they put the worst singer in the #2 singing spot each night. Ouch.

David Cook - I don't know what it is about this guy that irks me... let me watch him and maybe I'll figure it out. Is it his hair? Oh wait, they are stealing David's thunder and talking to Colton instead. Eek. He is comparing himself to Ellen Degeneres. Come on - I like Ellen, don't do that to her. Then, Colton lets out this weird chuckle. Awkward! Can we move on to David now? Please? Whoa, David looks like a giant next to Ryan Seacrest. Weird. I hadn't thought he was that big. OK, he's singing. Off-pitch, with a weird vibrato. Is he this year's male version of Jordin Sparks? Let's hope not - her vibrato killed me. Oh, wow. He's... doing... weird things. Like a bad Vegas lounge singer. He's off-pitch horribly and he's winking and pointing at the audience. Seriously? Oh, my. I had to pause it to collect my thoughts. That was bad. Ha! I don't buy his whole rocker vibe. Just because you push out the notes and twirl the mic stand, does not a rocker make! What? Randy is singing his praises? Paula, too? I'm gonna go watch it again. Hang on - let me rewind. Nah, I didn't like it. Sorry. Chris Daughtry (sigh), he ain't. Those smirks. Gah. Whatever, moving on...

Jason Yeager - I can't wait to hear this guy. They did not let us hear him all through the audition process. I am not expecting him to be any good, but I hope he proves me wrong because I think he's a Christian. He sings in his mom's worship band, anyway, so let's hope so! What's up with the streak in his hair? I mean, I have that if I go too long without coloring the gray. But, on purpose? Aw, cute son. Ok, Moon River??? PEOPLE! You have a CHOICE during this part of the competition. And you CHOOSE Moon River? And off-pitch, at that. Jason, let me give you some advice. You have a rich, colorful voice. Get jiggy with it. That was so Donny Osmond. All of the smiling and looking around and pointing and smiling. Ick. I just don't know. Awww, Paula did her first ballet recital to that song? Well, nevermind then! We shall all vote for Jason because he did Paula's first ballet-recital song! My mind is changed! Oh, and it gets better. Jason's grandmother taught him that song when he was little. Look. Jason, you've already used your son. Must you pull out another family member so early in the competition? If you're lucky enough to make it to next week, try doing a song from THIS century, k? [Ha! Simon bought his first puppy to the song. Bah ha ha.] [Now I feel silly... I just found out later in the show that it's actually 60's night. I simply do NOT understand this. But, I digress.]

Ha, again! Ryan just said "Little David Archuleta". He must REALLY be little for Ryan to be able to call him that!

Robbie Carrico - This guy has a lot of rumors flying around about him. He used to be in a band called Boyz N Girlz United or something like that. Also, he is rumored to have dated Britney Spears. Now, I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I would go around spreading either of those facts. Now, he's a rocker. It's like a 12 step program with some of these guys. "I've tried everything else... I think I'll go be a rocker." What is up with the bandanna? He's kinda cute, though. Something about him reminds me of JT. Thank you for at least singing in tune, Robbie! Very nice! I have news for you, though, Robbie. You are not rock. You are SO pop... but GOOD pop! Go for more Peter Cetera and less Bon Jovi. Your voice is pure. Paula just said something that actually made sense - in the pocket! Yes! Current - yes, Simon! Robbie has surprised me. I like him.

David Archuleta - I picked this guy to win it all when I made my initial picks on my Fantasy American Idol. Such a cute little thing! I'm not sure if I still feel that he will win... but he will surely go far because he's so endearing. Uh oh, he just cracked a little. But, I really like his voice. He's 17. I'll give him some slack. Very entertaining.

Danny Noriega - With a name like Noriega, you expect some 'tude. But this chick... I mean, guy... really gets on my nerves. I think he has a talent. Great voice. He's this year's Sanjaya - except with a better voice and more soul. And more guts. I always sensed that Sanjaya was being flung into stardom at first against his will. This guy, though, his scratching and clawing his way there. Now, Jailhouse Rock is one of my favorite Elvis songs. And Danny has just kinda butchered the rhythm of the song. Oh, he is such a girl! This should be an interesting season. The head bob! Oh, my.

Luke Menard - I'm not expecting great things from him, but let's see. Has anyone caught the joke his name makes? If you haven't, then don't think about it. Moving on... Ok, his first audition this season was not bad. Ouch - his audition last year was hideous. He has a high voice. Whoa - off-pitch. Can he hear himself? Is his monitor working? I'm being serious. He's incredibly sharp, which means he's not breathing because he's nervous. Deep breath, Luke! Bad song choice, but he could've pulled it out if he had been on pitch. Seems like a genuinely nice guy. Too bad he won't make it past the first week. Cute wife! Ok, thank you, randy, for backing me up on the sharp thing. Aw, I like this guy. If he can sing, I'd like to see him make it one more week.

Colton Berry - Hmmm, who wants to place bets that Colton Berry and Danny Noriega become friends? Anyway... Colton has a really good voice, actually. He sings with heart. Nice. On pitch. Lovely to listen to, maybe not so much to watch. Hold up! the theme is 60's tonight???? How did I miss that? WHY???? Don't they have enough theme nights once they get whittled down to the top 12? Ugh. This show.

Garrett Haley - No idea what this little boy sounds like. Has his voice changed yet? Ok, he is not bad... just kinda boring. He can wail. I hate theme nights. Have I mentioned that? Next. Oh, my - Simon!!!! How rude to say that he looks like he's been shut up in his bedroom for a month! That was horrible. He seems like a very nice, good-humored boy. I hope Simon hasn't just scarred him.

Jason Castro - I have not heard this guy sing during auditions, and yet I picked him as this year's Dark Horse. It's just a hunch I have. I'm guessing that he's good. And it has nothing to do with his dreads, either. My, what nice white teeth he has. Whoa. He IS good. I'm loving it. Natural, raw talent. Reminds me of Amos Lee. Just PLEASE, please do something with that hair. I can't stand to look at it up close. Under the lights. He just passed up David Archuleta, in my humble opinion. Pitch problems, Randy? What? Are you insane? Yes, he blew me away. He was original. Love it. He's my fave so far.

Michael Johns - I have looked forward to this guy all night. I loved everything they showed of him during the audition process. And he's Australian - love those Aussies! Ok, so he's starting off a little shaky. good stage presence. And gracious... all I can think of while he's singing is that scary nurse-singer from the girls that sang it during Hollywood week. I don't think it was his best performance. He's very charismatic and charming. He actually reminds me of a non-drugged out Jim Morrison. Ha! He will do well.

My goodness, it's late. I'm going to bed.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

As I was watching last night, all I could think was that I hoped you were going to do a blog so that I could get your take on the performances! Yippee! You're here; thanks for the insight!

Here are my brief comments:

David H - I also think he has a great voice. Stage presence is definitely lacking. Hopefully he'll be around long enough to improve.

Chikezie - Yeah, it's 60s night, but really, a better song he could have picked.

David C - I like him. I didn't think it was his best performance, but I like him. Of course, I liked Jordin Sparks too. :-p

Jason - As soon as he started singing, I shouted "I hate this song!" His performance was so cheesey. I really think he has to go.

Robbie - They did say he was in that band and he does look like JT. Charlie said he didn't think he was a rocker before Simon said it and then you said it too. I agree. But he is good.

David A - What an amazing voice. Love him.

Danny - One word description for his performance - creepy!

Luke - Can they turn up his mike or something? Paula says he has an amazing range; I definitely didn't hear it.

Colton - I totally forgot his performance. I guess he was forgettable.

Garrett - I really thought the judges were going to love him. I just pictured all the teeny boppers adoring him. Poor kid got smashed by the judges.

Jason - I wondered what Randy was smoking. I loved his performance. Glad Simon gave him props.

Michael - I think they put him last on purpose so that everyone would watch the whole show. He's got a great appeal to him. He's one of my favs.

We'll see how the ladies do tonight! :-)

Tracy