Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Top 6 - Performance Night

It's Earth Day. In honor of Earth Day, we had Daniel Wornicov come over and do our landscaping in our front yard, ha ha. He did an amazing job!!!! Just doing our part. Ha ha.

I was a Musical Theatre major, so Andrew Lloyd Webber is a hero of mine. I love his work. He's genius. This should either make or break people tonight...

Syesha gave me chills. She was REALLY good - musical theatre is def her genre! She was beautiful, cute, funny and her voice sounded great.

Jason is my man - I thought he was brilliant last week... but this week scares me. I'm just not sure his folky style will go with anything Sir Webber has written. Memory. Ok. It actually starts off good. I like it so far, but the low part is coming and... ew. But... then the unthinkable happens. He just is so adorable and sweet and I just ended up loving it!!! There was just something about it. No, Randy, I do NOT think it was a vocal trainwreck. Yes, Paula, I actually agree with you. It was different, but it wasn't bad. I just liked it. Nope, don't agree with Simon, either. I think he sold it, actually.

Oh, Brooke. Brooke, Brooke, Brooke. Why am I so NOT looking forward to this. Oh, MY! Did he really just say that??? Oh... well. He thinks she's a natural actress. WHAT???? Oh, my Lord. She just freaking started over on American Idol. Has that ever happened before on this show? This is just painful to me. I just want to fast-forward. The bridge wasn't too bad vocally... but she is so darn goofy. Wow, Paula seems really pissed that Brooke started over. That was some awkward silence right there. Now they are all fighting about whether she should've stopped or not. Blah. It reminds me of a funny moment I had in a musical one time. (Gosh, I feel like Randy right now) I was performing this REALLY wordy song and right in the middle of it, just before a key change, I lost my words. Once you got off, there was NO getting back on. So, I literally went "lah de dah de dah de dah... " and then pointed to the orchestra pit and yelled "KEY CHANGE!" Buzz, the pianist, actually fell off of the piano stool laughing. It was a fitting moment for the fun song that it was. Liza Minelli had made the song famous - it was called "Ring Those Bells" from the musical "And the World Goes 'Round". Ahh, the good ole days.

Hmmm, David Archuleta is next. Has he used up all of his cheesy inspiration moments? Wow, this is interesting. He has changed the vibe and feel of this song. Very different. He is really trying to keep his eyes open. I'm so used to him closing them that it actually seemed weird to me that he opened them. I wasn't in love with it, honestly. I could barely hear him through most of it, but it may be because I'm on the flat-panel TV. As usual, I liked his runs. :-) Andrew Lloyd Webber did NOT look happy - and Archie was apologizing when the song was done - did he mess up somewhere????

Carly is going Jesus Christ, Superstar. Awesome. I was actually in this musical and worked harder than I've ever worked "physically" in a show... until 2 years later when I broke my foot during Sweet Charity (I was Charity) and performed the whole musical in a leg cast. (Man, I AM Randy tonight!!! Dawg.) Anyway, I liked the performance and energy from Carly tonight. I have to add that when we performed JC Superstar, we changed A LOT of the musical to make it more reverent and true. Anyway... Jesus Christ IS my superstar.

I'm totally PUMPED about David Cook tonight. I think he has the perfect voice for a rock musical. David has had 3 bad weeks, so I'm counting on him to make a comeback this week. Pretend he's singing to a 17 year old? I hope not! He's in his 20's... oh, 25. Oooh, I'm so glad he's doing this song. Oh, my. His voice sounds like BUTTER!!!!!! It's GORGEOUS. I just gasped. This is so beautiful. Wow. Can I say enough? David Cook - RUN to Broadway. And quickly make an album so I can buy it. Awesome ending, too!!!!! Best ever!

Best of the night? Syesha and David Cook.

Worst? Brooke. Jason was a close second. Sorry! I still love you, Jason!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Hey Beth! I like your reminiscing. :-)

David Cook is a star. I loved his performance. I may download it off iTunes.

David Archuleta - I want to love him, but I'm getting bored.

The final two should be named David though. ;-)