Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Season 8 - Top 7!!!!

7 is my favorite #... So, I decided to do something a little fun and different tonight! I'm adding video! Whoo hoo!

Ok, the band is on the stage tonight and I like it! I've missed having the energy of the band. They're, like, so far away... omgah! (That was for YOU, SIL#2)

Randy's sweater is ridiculous tonight. My goodness.

Abbey said "Ugh, she creeps me out" when they announced Paula and said she was hot.

Why is Ryan wasting time tonight? He's totally stalling... I'm going to twitter him.

I just twittered him. I totally did.

"It's a hot one tonight"??? Danny has on contacts. Stevie Ray Vaughan is in the house. "You gotta work tonight, baby"??? What's up with Ryan's one-liners.

Allison is up first, singing "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" Allison seemed a little nervous when she first started. Ugh, the sound mix is horrible! She is screaming parts of the song and it's literally muffling on my TV. Anyone else's? I think this was my least favorite Allison performance. She just screamed in my opnion... but then again, it's a screamy song. I'd love to hear her croon something. Or just something a LITTLE softer. Seriously? The judges are falling all over themselves to compliment her. In the past, I could see this... but now? The girl's only hope, I can buy that. But her performance tonight? Meh. I need to go back laters and watch it again...

Anoop is doing Bryan Adams, probably my least favorite movie song person. Ugh. Me no likey. Ever notice how Anoop's lip sweats EVERY WEEK? Every week! But, you know, whatever. I like his voice a lot. Ah, the Indian version of my BIL, Scott is doing well tonight. I feel weird trying to watch him while voting for Matt on 2 different phones, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do. Ha! "Is there a special someone?" - Ryan. "Nope" - Anoop, then he wiggled those tricked out eyebrows. Hilarious!

Oh, my. It's Adam's turn. I'm actually looking forward to him. He's entertaining. No doubt about it. I honestly love his lower register. I'm not loving the chorus, but I actually like the rest of it. OK, I'm gonna grab Lincoln and video his reaction of Adam's singing. This should be good... Lincoln let me down a little. He was so enamoured with his own face on the screen that he couldn't care less about Adam Lambert. Me, either. Next!

Katie Couric in the house.

I have a bad feeling about Matty tonight. He, too, is singing a Bryan Adams song - possibly my least favorite song ever. EVER. But then again, Part-time lover wasn't on my faves list until he sang it last week, too. So, we shall see! I've been voting for him for 20 minutes as I am running quite a bit behind... and getting through most of the time. Don't know if that's good or bad. :-/ He's singing "Have You Really Ever Loved a Woman". Well, have you, Matt? Nevermind, I don't want to know.

Ok, I had to take a 5 minute break after Matt was finished. I'm crushed. He didn't do the best ever... in fact, there were parts that were hard to listen to. But, there were moments that were BEAUTIFUL and that's what I'm choosing to focus on.

Danny is singing Endless Love. Nice song choice. He should do well. Is it bad that I don't care? I'm just kinda over the whole Danny Gokey phenom. Starts out wobbly. Wow, out of tune! Which proves what I've said for several weeks: when he's not "pushing" it vocally, he can't stay on pitch. That's undortunate, but whatever. When he gets going and pushes it, he's pretty darn great. Hmmm, anyone else notice he's wearing his wedding band tonight? I'm sure his future wife will LOVE that if he ever gets married again... I liked the harp.

Kris is next. I like Kris. I L O V E the song he chose. Will I love Kris singing the song? Dunno. Let's see. Loving it so far. My favorite of the night. But WAIT - he just had a little pitchy bobble. Oh, wow - love what he did with the climax of the song. Gotta rewind and listen again! This is a hard song to sing, I'm sure. The backup singer rocks. Go, girl.

Lil is last. Seriously? The pimp spot? Gosh, is it so so wrong for me to wish that she has an epic FAIL tonight so that Matt can stay in? Probably... but I'm thinking it anyway. Personally, I think this is the best Lil has done since the top 36... but I still have problems with it. She didn't fully committ to the gospel side of the song like Quentin told her to do. There were nice moments, as Simon said, but overall it was just "ok" for me.

They should've switched Allison and Lil in the lineup. That would've sealed the deal.

Matt sounds better in the rehearsal, for sure. What happened to him tonight???

Bottom 3 for me, personally - unfortunately, Matt, Allison and ??? I don't even know. Danny, maybe? I didn't care for his version. Or did I? Mat and Allison were the worst vocally for me tonight. But I love Matty so I take him right back out of that category.

I honestly have no idea who is going to get voted out. If it's Anoop, Matt or Lil, they most likely WON'T use the save. Any of the others, they probably WILL use it. They have to use it eventually. What's the point of waiting until their is only 4 left, ya know???

And now for the surprise! I got a wild hair and decided to record a video of my thoughts tonight... as if the written word wasn't enough!!!! Here is the link - there are a few cute cameo appearances from 2 of my 3 kids:




Until next time...

7 comments:

Bessie Moo said...

I notice right away that I desperately need to paint this room. Eeek. Nasty.

Also, I'd like to give props to Abbey for always having an opinion. :-)

Jonnie Wethington said...

Okay,

First of all, great blog! Even going video this time, with a quick turnaround, too....Nicely done...
So...That wasn't Stevie Ray Vaughan in the audience. He's been dead for over a decade now. It was actually "Little Stevie", who plays in Bruce Springsteen's E-Street Band. I'm always a little shocked at how many stars show up for this show now. It has gained remarkable credibility over the years. As for the performances, I think it's Lil's time to go, but she'll probably last one more week, since Anoop has been hanging by a thread the last few weeks. Matt picked the worst possible song he could have, and struggled, but he's safe for another week at least. I think we all know now though that it's Adam's competition to lose now. Much as I hate to admit it, he's a star. I still think he's more suited for Broadway, though. I think the only darkhorses left to challenge him are Allison and Danny. I'm a Matt fen, but the judges have been all over him, trying to pigeonhole him.

Bessie Moo said...

Eeek - of course SRV has been dead for awhile. That would be Stevie Van Zandt! At least I didn't call him Stevie Wonder. Ever watch The Sopranos? Me, either... but he plays a mob guy on there, as well.

I'm wishing more and more that I had either left the video out or recorded it somewhere else in the house. I have been worn out this week and that REALLY showed.

I guess my dreams of being a jet-setter should be shelved. I can't even handle Spring Break!

Jonnie Wethington said...

Nonsense....It was good to sorta "meet" you face to face, anyway....Me and your hubby are trying to get together on a date for a comedy event at CIL....I'll have to show you all my "Idol" stuff, since I'm getting more material with each viewing....

Anonymous said...

OK, I laughed so hard when you said Stevie Ray Vaughn was in the audience. Sorry to have so much fun at your expense. Glad you took it well when you realized your error.

Clearly, you were hoping to make another $6 before leaving for your trip. And, if I was going to see you before you left, I'd give it to you. Just to buy myself another month with no "omigah." :-)

I completely agreed with your assessment of Allison. I said that it sounded like she was slurring her words, but slurring, muffled - I think we're talking about the same thing. I thought it was horrific, and I do not wholly dislike her. My issue with Allison is that I do not think she is mature enough to be ready for this business. But I think she's got an amazing voice, and she knows how to work it. Most days.

I love Anoop, even if he does have a bad case of sweaty lip. Of course, I chose that song as part of my pre-game warm up music for the wedding, so .... maybe my vote doesn't count.

Adam ... I have this sick feeling he's going to win, but I don't want it to be so. I know he has tons of talent, but I just don't like his style of music. But dude can blow. (Side note: it always makes me giggle when he's out there touching the hands of the young girls ... as if.)

I can't say I love Matt like you do ... but I do enjoy his performances most weeks. I definitely did not think it was his week to go. It is Lil's turn to go. And, remember that I have championed Lil from the get-go. But she has failed me. I was disturbed that you thought it was her best in the top 36. I wholly disagree.

Never heard that song that Kris sang before. But I thought he did a good job with it.

Why do you despise my beloved Danny? Why must you diss him? What has he ever done to you, Bessie? Yes, I love him. Still. Would love to see him in top 2, though only a random repeat of Season 5 (the Hicks-McPhee showdown) could bring him out ahead of Adam. And, yes, I noticed the wedding band ... and, yes, I am not afraid to admit that I cried when he sang Endless Love because I felt he was singing about his late wife. And, just fyi Bessie, she hasn't been dead long enough for him to be thinking about some second wife. However, when he does, because he probably will given his youthfulness, I doubt he'll keep wearing the wedding band into the second marriage. :-)

Bottom should have totally been Allison, Lil and maybe Matt, but Matt should have been the first one sent back to the couch. I am baffled by America's love for Lil and Allison (even though she's been in the bottom 3 several times, she never stays there long).

P.S. Didn't they say that the judges' save could only be used up to the top 5 or did I make that up? I swear, I think I remember that.

SIL # 2

Bessie Moo said...

Jenni, Jenni, Jenni - what did I say to make you think I despise Danny? Nay, I like him a lot! LOVE his tone, his kooky singing family, his specs, all that!

I didn't think it was his best performance. I was getting a little bored with him, that's all. Why? Because I think he can do AMAZINGLY better. When he "goes off" and starts ad libbing and stuff, he amazes me. But he's kinda been playing it safe. Maybe because he knows he can? I don't know.

NOW, saying all of that... I JUST watched the elimination night show tonight. Because, you know, I got back from church and had to pack etc to get ready to go out of town again. So, anyway, I watched it tonight and REALLY enjoyed the top 7's rendition of "Maniac". Besides that being one of my fave songs back then, I thought Danny Boy's solo part was SMOKIN'. I loved it. THAT's the way he needs to sing every week. Come on!

Anyway, just had to come on and put your mind at ease that I don't hate Danny - I just want him to do as well as he CAN.

Anonymous said...

Here is why I THOUGHT you didn't like my beloved Danny:

"Is it bad that I don't care? I'm just kinda over the whole Danny Gokey phenom."

I'm HUGELY relieved that that didn't really mean what it seemed! I do not disagree with you that he may be playing it too safe. But, time's are getting tough now, and he probably can't afford to play it that way much longer. He's gonna have to step it up if he intends to beat Adam Lambert, who is NOT going to just lay down and concede.

SIL # 2